Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hats! The Red Hat Musical


Phil and Jamie  invited Cloody  to see the Red Hat Musical in Memphis and I got to tag along.  We all enjoyed the show and had some extremely good laughs.  The theater was packed and several Red Hat clubs came as groups to see the show.   Many were wearing red hats.  



 





                                                              
When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

By Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman , I shall wear purple
and a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
and run my stick along the public railings
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain 
and pick the flowers in other people's gardens and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
and eat three pounds of sausages at a go
or only bread and pickles for a week
and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
and pay our rent and not swear in the street
and set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised 
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.


5 comments:

Patsy said...

The Village Red Hats missed out.
Patsy

Charlene said...

How neat for Cloody and you to see the Red Hat show.....there is something so cheerful about the wearing of the Red and Purple. I love the poem.

Patsy, if you go to the Red Hat Web site I think you can look up the Red Hat Chapters in Jonesboro and get out your Red Hat and go.

deedee said...

I love her hat! Looks like a great show to go see.

Winifred said...

She really suits red doesn't she.

Well I always promised myself I would dye my hair purple and have at least twenty cats when I got old. I chickened out!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Great photo of Cloody. Glad ya'll had fun.

 

|