Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Flying Interprise

A Tribute To Captain Kurt Carlsen


This is a true story of a sea captain named Kurt Carlsen.  In order to understand what happened, please read the link Captianstayput.   I was a ham radio operator and followed his story as it happened.   I later talked to Captain Carlsen who was then aboard The Flying Interprise II. and was off the coast of South America .


The photos are of a QSL card which hams exchanged to confirm the contact.  Note the postage at that time was 2 cents. ( It had gone up in price).


8 comments:

deedee said...

I have a small collection of QSL radio cards. I acquire them from an auction. I posted about one of them in my blog. The story was amazing and also that you have a card too!

Patsy said...

That story is very interesting.
Patsy

Frank Baker said...

DeeDee, I checked your QSL card . It's from Niue a small south sea Island about 1300 miles NE of New Zealand. Unable to see the call sign of the Niue station (it's probably on the other side of the card). A rare card because of little or no Ham activity at that time. The stamps could also be of value. Can you tell me anything more?

Winifred said...

Like the lad from Birmingham I remember that story too and I was only seven years old.

Every day we heard about Captian Carlsen and the Flying Enterprise as the story unfolded. We didn't have a telly then but it was on the radio and everyone was amazed by what he did. What a fantastic man he was.

deedee said...

Frank: Other than what is shown in the picture, that is all I know about that card. I sold it on ebay for $500 before really finding out more about it. I wish I had kept it. It was really one of a kind.

Aimeslee Winans said...

My cousin used to be big into ham radios, back in the 60's. It was really the first world wide web, wasn't it?

Frank Baker said...

Hi Aime, Do you remember is station call letters?

Frank Baker said...

Hi Aime, Do you remember his station call letters?

 

|