Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Storm Is Over


It's nice to be a  part of a group that cares about one another.  During the recent ice storm everyone was looking out for his neighbor.  The Village staff worked hard by doing everything within their power to keep us safe and secure.  I think everyone deserves a big round of thanks and a pat on the back.

Now that it's over we can look back and maybe see some humor in it all.  Dana Overman of the marketing department wrote this poem, which I'm sure will jog your memory of the past week and maybe get a good chuckle now and then. 
Thanks Dana for a real "Work of Art". 




Making "Light" of a Dark Situation
By Dana Overman

Twas the night of the ice storm, and all through the house,
Not an appliance was working, no computer no mouse.
The flat screen was hung on the wall with such care,
A giant black box at which I could stare.

The children had moved out, thank God they weren't there,
No cell phones, no I-Pods I would be pulling my hair.
"My gosh Mom, I'm bored, what can I do?"
They'd say while they ducked, and I threw a shoe.

And all of a sudden there came such a fear,
I was stricken with panic, my eye's shed a tear.
No Leno, no Letterman, no Amercian Idol,
So I reached for a book, but couldn't see the title.

The icicles hung on the gutters like knives,
Endangering eye glasses, hairdo's and lives.
When from my back yard there came such a racket,
I tripped and I cursed as I put on my jacket.

And what with my oversized ears did I hear,
But the hum of a generator, who's name is John Deere.
My husband was dressed, his gas can in hand,
Is something resembling the Michelim Man

He snorted and scratched and gave a big grunt,
He said," Get my gun- I'm gonna go hunt".
I let out a laugh and said,"What a pity,
I think it's illegal, We live in the city".

Then from the street came a rumbling noise,
A convoy of trucks, " The Entergy Boys".
Go Linda, Go Lindsey, Go Vella, and Annette
Hey Angela, Hey Teresa, Hey Kendall and Jess

To the top of the poles with their tool belts attached,
They went quickly to work, their harnesses latched.
The clothing they wore couldn't  have been better,
They looked like a wheel of aging sharp cheddar.

Their hands they kept with wire in tow,
And yelled when they dropped it," Look out below".
I ventured outside covering my head, 
I just got my hair done; icicles I dread.

When I made it out safely, I looked to the skies,
And couldn't believe what I saw with my eyes.
The lines were all frozen, the poles snapped in two,
How will they fix this, what will they do?

I yelled up,"Hey Jess,what do you know"?
When will I have power, I'm missing my show".
He gave me a look that made me declare,
"Geese Jess, what the matter, don't you even care?"

"No Leno, no Letterman, no Amercian Idol,
I can't read a book, I can't see the title.
So chop-chop get busy, why will you not speak?
I need my electricity", he said," in a week."

I suddenly felt nauseous I was going to blow,
Like the last time I ate clams at the local Bristro.
A week with no power, what will we do?
Play Pinochle, Yahtzee or scrub the mildew?

I said to my husband who stood closely by,
" You'll have to speak", he shrugged and said, " why?"
We looked at each other, he tilted his head,
"Oh well" was his comment, "Let's go to bed".
The generator was fine it was willing and able,
It did what it could but it was not Cable.

A week went by slowly and then just as quick,
The power came on like a good magic trick.
I grabbed the remote from the old coffee table,
And flicked on the TV, but alas still no Cable.

Again from the street came a rumbling noise,
A convoy of trucks, The Entergy Boys.
I heard them exclaim as they drove out of sight,
"Our work is done here, let there be light."

You think this all, the end of my fable,
Well I want to know, who'll fix my cable?


6 comments:

Tita Mama said...

Good morning! Who did the sketch of Dana?

deedee said...

The poem is hilarious! The portrait is pretty cool! I'm glad you're "back" - really missed your posts!

Charlene said...

The poem is so cute....so glad we are all ok...we will all have something to talk about for awhile. Thanks for the pictures of the storm. I forwarded them to friends who live away.

Patsy said...

Dana is a real cool gal. That was funny and real cute.
patsy

Clara....in TN said...

I had to go back to your profile to see where you live. I didn't know it was that bad in AR. I thought KY was the only place that was THAT bad. Glad you are O.K. thanks for visiting my blog.

Screaming Meme said...

I love that poem! Funny! I would like to personally invite you to both of my blogs...Screaming Meme and Project:{Create A Home}....Screaming Meme is a decorating blog that I created to share my career as an Interior Decorator and Model Home Stager, as well as, share ideas and how to's on decorating, faux painting and getting a professional look on a shoe string budget!...It is all about decorating over there! I then created Project:{ Create A Home}...I envisioned a blog that women could all share in...Where we could come together and learn everything from decorating our homes to stepping out and learning new things that we always wanted to learn but didn't have the road map...Project: {Create A Home} is that road map! We have decorating, organizing, cooking, finance, technical/computer knowledge, family rearing, relationship advice, spirituality and uplifting wisdom...just to name a few...I hope you get a chance to stop in and look around...And if you have something that you want to share...Something that we could learn from you...Well, we would love to talk to you! :) I look forward to getting to know you! Meme

 

|