Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pancakes at St. Stephens


The crowd begins to gather about 5 PM, and all will enjoy some of the best pancakes you can have in this part of  the world.  

Shrove Tuesday is also called Fat Tuesday because on that day a thrifty housewife uses up the fats she has kept around for cooking, but that she will not be using during Lent.  Since pancakes use of lots of fat, the day is also called Pancake Tuesday.  In England and perhaps elsewhere, the day is celebrated with pancake races.  Contestants run a course while holding a griddle and flipping a pancake. 

 Read Winifred's Blog (a nice lady form England) "Pancake Tuesday." 

5 comments:

Patsy said...

Good show and good eats, can not ask for more.
Patsy

Charlene said...

Looked like a good time. Interesting, I had never heard of Pancake Tuesday until this year.

Winifred said...

Looks like you had a good night there. Nice food, lovely friends, the best!

Andy said...

So, Frank, are you giving up lard for Lent? I know that must be hard.

Nash and I have decided that deprivation is good for us, so we're on the austerity program right now. No wine. No sugar. Thankfully, lard is just fine.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi, Frank. My arthritic fingers are slowly making my comment rounds, lol. I may know too many peeps along my route, but I wouldn't have it any other way. winkwink

So, St. Stephens, omgosh, as in Episcopal? That's where I was christened! My mom and I both were both in Blytheville, my dad in Conway (just north of Little Rock).

Great videos, too, in your prior posts. I just love stuff like that. Turner Classic Movies is on whenever Fox News Channel isn't, around here. Heaven for me would be watching a movie starring both Norma Shearer and Gary Cooper. Or Lana Turner, William Powell, Ingrid Bergman, or Dick Powell {swoon}. And, there ain't much better than Liz Taylor in National Velvet. Geebus, I'll stop now. winkwink

 

|