Sunday, February 22, 2009

Number Please


While cleaning out some junk I came across this old phone.  I've had it a long time and I'm sure it has lots of history.  I did a little research and found it to be made by Western Electric and first introduced in 1907 and was produced for about 30 years.  It's an early model because the hinged front opens left to right. Later models were changed to open right to left to prevent interference with the magneto crank.  The magneto still works and the bells still ring.  To make a call you must first ring central and give the number to the operator. Most phones were party lines (lines shared by several customers and listening to your neighbors conversations was common practice.) 
This phone could be 100 years old.

6 comments:

Patsy said...

Do you still have that old phone book too? Give us a call.
Hugs, Patsy

Charlene said...

Gosh, we have come a long way. Interesting post. Have a wonderful day.

Frank Baker said...

Patsy, Sure I still have the old Phone book and my parents are listed in it. Also you will find Cloody's Mother in Crystal Springs.

Patsy said...

The Bennie said he wants to borrow that old phone to go fishing with. We could use the book in the out house.
Patsy

Winifred said...

What a beautiful phone, much better than the plastic stuff we have now. I hope you're keeping it, it could be valuable too.

I loved the ringing sound of the old phones. I wish you could have that sound again instead of those awful tones you get now.

Clara....in TN said...

Frank, I have one of those phones. At one time, I lived next door to my Mother. It was right after I got married. She had another phone just like mine and we had them hooked up so we could talk to each other. I don't know what happened to the one she had, but I still have mine. it is hanging in my den. One day i will put a picture of it on my blog. I don't have a phone book to go with it.

 

|