Sunday, July 20, 2008

COLD SOUP ( You must be kidding)

I casually mentioned cold soup to a group of fellow Villagers, and immediately I got my head handed to me on a platter ( If you know what I mean).  All I could hear is, " I don't eat cold soup".  
Well, I never know when to quit.  Immediately I thought about words like:  Gazpacho, Ratatouille, Vichyssoise, and Soup A La Courgette, and I wonder what we're missing.  I guess the approach should be, " If you haven't tried it, don't knock it".  

Last week Cloody and I made cold cucumber soup for our  bridge luncheon with good results.  Well enough to try Blueberry a few days later.  It was wonderful, but I didn't take any chances by calling it cold soup.  Instead I froze it and called it blueberry sorbet, and it was a big success.  We have had great success with Gazpacho when we lived in Arizona.  

I recall a Mr. Parker who ran a beer drinking establishment in Mississippi.  It was located near the county line between a dry county and a wet one, and was a favorite stop for thirsty travelers.  Mr. Parker had a large crock on the bar and it was filled with chopped fresh vegetables, mostly tomatoes , but also peppers, onions and whatever his friends would bring in. To this he would add, salt, a little vinegar, hot sauce and other goodies that suited his fancy.  It was offered to anyone brave enough to eat it, and after a couple of beers it was a welcome summer treat.  Served in a paper cup along with soda crackers.  I often thought of what this concoction really was but thank God No One There Ate Cold Soup. 

If I remember correctly the name of this illustrious establishment was PARK-HER-IN

The temperature is hot, the summer flavors are high, and in the words of Old Dizzy Dean, " Whatever you do, don't fail to miss it".

  

5 comments:

Patsy said...

I bet I would like your Cold Soup.
Patsy

Frank Baker said...

Be careful you may get to eat some. I'm currently working on mango and cantaloupe.

Phil Baker said...

what about the copiah soup featured under the pic of Westminster Willie, how does it stack up?

Frank Baker said...

That's the soup Mr. Parker made, but I didn't want the word to get out.
F

Frank Baker said...

I thought the cooks in Houston would jump all over this post ??????

 

|